First Sunday of Lent – 06 March 2022
Deuteronomy 26:4-10. Psalm 91:1-2, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15. Romans 10:8-13. Luke 4:1-13.
Reflecting on Baptism and Temptations. Luke’s gospel recounts that Jesus, filled with the Holy Spirit at Jordan’s baptism, is led by that same Spirit into the desert – a place for reflection and prayer. And hunger. And temptations by diabolos, the false accuser. What happens? Strengthened by baptism at which he is called “beloved”, temptations are resisted – not easily, but resisted nonetheless. Food for our thoughtful reflections this Lent.
- How does my Baptism strengthen me for Christian living?
- How can I face temptations of eating, of power, of vain glory this Lent?
- How will I pray for and support the elect throughout the diocese called this day to Baptism-Confirmation-Eucharist at the coming Easter Vigil?
NN [list names] are the elect from our parish.
Use this prayer card to be ever mindful of the Works of Mercy.
This post was first published on the worship pages of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois website.
Sunday Prayer Shaping Life and Belief
Written by Eliot Kapitan.
Permission is given to use, reprint, and distribute these bulletin shorts in any way you find helpful for your community.
Image credit: Photo by Dakota Roos on Unsplash.
- Bulletin Shorts for Thanksgiving Day
- Bulletin Shorts for the Thirty-Fourth or Last Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for the Thirty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for the Feast of The Dedication of the Lateran Basilica
- Bulletin Shorts for the Thirty-Second Sunday in Ordinary Time