Twenty-Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time – 19 September 2021
Wisdom 2:12, 17-20. Psalm 54:3-4, 5, 6-8. James 3:16–4:31. Mark 9:30-37.
“I’m Better Than You.” Our lives are filled with all manner of put down, one upmanship, top dog behavior. When the disciples where caught in a similar conversation by Jesus, their response was silence. Perhaps, from embarrassment, even shame – especially after his teaching. He says to them and to us, be last not first, be of service, be open to receive.
- Who needs to be first at something this week rather than me?
- Whom can I serve because they need some help?
- Whom will I receive with joy as I would a child or grandchild?
This post was first published on the worship pages of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois website.
Sunday Prayer Shaping Life and Belief
Written by Eliot Kapitan.
Permission is given to use, reprint, and distribute these bulletin shorts in any way you find helpful for your community.
Image credit: Photo by Dakota Roos on Unsplash.
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for The Exaltation of the Holy Cross
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time