Twenty-Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time – 03 October 2021
Genesis 2:18-24. Psalm 128:1-2, 3, 4-5, 6. Hebrews 2:9-11. Mark 10:2-16.
Making, Testing, and Deciding. There are at least three take-aways from the readings today. In the making of man and woman in this second creation story, God builds them up from the same stuff. In the first creation story, read during the Easter Vigil, they are made into God’s own image and likeness (Genesis 1:27). Made as equals. In the testing of Jesus, the Pharisees try to trip him up with legal loopholes. Jesus does not play that game. In deciding who belongs to the Kingdom of God, it is Jesus and not his handlers who choose. Children are important. So is everyone else.
- How will I foster the equality of both women and men?
- How will I avoid loopholes and, instead, tell the truth?
- Just like Jesus, how will I treat everyone the same as equal members of God’s Kingdom?
This post was first published on the worship pages of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois website.
Sunday Prayer Shaping Life and Belief
Written by Eliot Kapitan.
Permission is given to use, reprint, and distribute these bulletin shorts in any way you find helpful for your community.
Image credit: Photo by Dakota Roos on Unsplash.
- Bulletin Shorts for the Thirty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for the Thirty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica
- Bulletin Shorts for the Thirty-Second Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for the Solemnity of All Saints and The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls)