Twenty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time – 05 September 2021
Isaiah 35:4-7a. Psalm 146:7, 8-9, 9-10. James 2:1-5. Mark 7:31-37.
Be Opened! Jesus heals a deaf and mute man today who immediately speaks plainly. Before the Baptism of adults and after that for babies and children, the Church imitates Jesus with the Ephphetha Rite [EF-fah-thah]. In opening the ears and mouth, we pray for the grace to hear the word of God and to profess it every day.
- To what right behavior do I turn a deaf ear, a closed mouth?
- What needs opening so I may hear the word of God?
- What needs opening so I may speak truth?
This post was first published on the worship pages of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois website.
Sunday Prayer Shaping Life and Belief
Written by Eliot Kapitan.
Permission is given to use, reprint, and distribute these bulletin shorts in any way you find helpful for your community.
Image credit: Photo by Dakota Roos on Unsplash.
- Bulletin Shorts for Pentecost Sunday
- Bulletin Shorts for The Ascension of the Lord
- Bulletin Shorts for the Sixth and Seventh Sundays of Easter
- Bulletin Shorts for the Fifth Sunday of Easter
- Bulletin Shorts for the Fourth Sunday of Easter