Twenty-Second Sunday in Ordinary Time – 29 August 2021
Deuteronomy 4:1-2, 6-8. Psalm 15:2-3, 3-4, 4-5. James 1:17-18, 21b-22, 27. Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23.
Call to Holiness. Sometimes law and custom can be so onerous, so heavy that we can lose focus on right behavior. That is part of the conversation today as we return to the Gospel of Mark. Observing traditions is good and right. But avoiding oppressing thoughts, words, and deeds is better. In the Second Reading, Saint James says: “Be doers of the word and not hearers only.” In short, be holy.
- What unholy words and deeds can I avoid?
- What holy words and deeds shall I do this week?
- Whom can I invite to holy behavior with me?
This post was first published on the worship pages of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois website.
Sunday Prayer Shaping Life and Belief
Written by Eliot Kapitan.
Permission is given to use, reprint, and distribute these bulletin shorts in any way you find helpful for your community.
Image credit: Photo by Dakota Roos on Unsplash.
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for The Exaltation of the Holy Cross
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time