Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time – 08 August 2021
1 Kings 19:4-8. Psalm 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9. Ephesians 4:30–5:2. John 6:41-51.
“Stop Murmuring.” Elijah is running for his life from King Ahab and Jezebel because he told the truth. He was fed by an angel of the Lord for his forty-day flight. This story is context for the third-Sunday-in-a-row conversation between Jesus and the crowd on bread of life. Perhaps, with a sigh, Jesus says: “Stop murmuring.” Though what I say may be hard to believe, it is true, it is real. I Am living bread. Eat me and live for ever.
- What do I believe concerning what looks like bread is more than bread?
- How does eating this living bread affect my life?
- After sharing in Communion, how can I affect the lives of others?
This post was first published on the worship pages of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois website.
Sunday Prayer Shaping Life and Belief
Written by Eliot Kapitan.
Permission is given to use, reprint, and distribute these bulletin shorts in any way you find helpful for your community.
Image credit: Photo by Dakota Roos on Unsplash.
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for The Exaltation of the Holy Cross
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time
- Bulletin Shorts for the Twenty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time